Eye Care Kenya
What is Eye Care Kenya?
Eye Care Kenya is an international program focused on bringing eye and other health care services to countries without those services in a sustainable and replicable manner.
How Spanda Inc. Got Involved:
Through the help of Empowering Lives International (ELI), Spanda Inc., was able to bring its services and various medical specialities into the country to help the Kenyan people start a health clinic, the Cheboiywa Clinic. ELI is a group dedicated to bringing encouragement, ideas, and empowerment to families and villages that have lost hope for a better life.
Establishment of Clinic:
Established in 2006, the Cheboiywa Clinic continues to increase the number of patients seen each year. A recent review of health conditions in the community showed a 75% drop in the number of cases for common illnesses since the clinic inception.
Current Services offered at the Cheboiywa Clinic include:
- Curative (the treatment of injury or illness; i.e. sprained ankles to malaria.
- Laboratory Services (including HIV testing and counseling)
- Maternal Health, Infant/Child Health and Family Planning
- Basic Dental Services (usually resulting in tooth extraction)
- Preventative Services (sale of mosquito nets and Water Guard, which kills parasites and bacteria from well water to make it safe for drinking)
- Outreach Services by way of a moble clinic
- Reproductive Health Training Sessions (focused for local midwives)
- Pharmaceutical Services
- Eye Care Services
In hopes of making the Cheboiywa Clinic a full fledge medical center, other services are being added as soon as the need is identified.